As you've likely noticed, there's a lot of discussion on champion pools on the solo queue tier list lately. While I love the idea, since I forward the page to a new one each patch, the comments will eventually get lost in the sands of time...
Hi all, as you've likely noticed, there's a lot of discussion regarding champion pools on the solo queue tier list lately. I love the idea, but since I forward the page to a new one each patch, the comments will eventually get lost in the sands of time...
As that's the case and I think it's a valuable set of comments, I'm opening a separate page for champion pool discussion comments that will stick around. You can still post your pool discussions on the solo queue list if you want, but just be forewarned that they will eventually be unavailable with the new patch.
As a bonus, I'll also participate more on those discussions on this page.
Thoughts on Balanced Pools
As a whole, personal champion pools are best when they contain different sets of champions that fit different meta roles. Since Riot tends to nerf and buff champions in cycles, having a well rounded pool of champions you can play allows for a better chance of steady climbing.
Here are some thoughts on "ideal" picks as well as picks that you can pick up "quickly" if you prefer to specialize in a different role and just have a good backups:
- Archetypes: Tanks, ranged casters, sometimes assassins, and rarely ranged AD glass cannons.
- It's hard to go wrong with a tanky top, but having one of each helps and can overlap with your other positions too.
- Ideal Pick: Rumble - As a strong damage-based caster with good initiation, if you can play Rumble top, he fits in pretty much any meta and team composition.
- Easy Picks: Malphite, Sion - Big initiation, decent sustain (shields), hard to kill.
- Archetypes: AP or AD burst champions, sometimes ranged AD with an escape and burst
- Most AP mids tend to be more consistent, except when Talon is in cycle.
- Ideal Pick: Morgana or Kassadin always cycle around eventually, and are fairly easy to pick up.
- Easy Picks: Malzahar, Morgana - Easy and safe waveclear, good CC
- Archetypes: Tanky initiator, assassin, hybrid bruiser
- Tanky initiators tend to get nerfed less than the other two categories, since there's less to complain about.
- Ideal Pick: Jarvan IV - Always cycles around eventually with his high CC and free team stats
- Easy Picks: Amumu, Nautilus, Xin Zhao - High CC, large AOE skillshots, high health jungle clears
- Archetypes: Tank, Healer, Burst Damage
- Choosing a support depends on playstyle, most supports are fairly balanced.
- Ideal Picks: Sona, Leona
- Easy Picks: Sona - Heal, Poke, AOE CC, Sick Skin
- Archetypes: Burst damage, Poke damage
- Marksmen cycle very often, but most of the ones with some sort of escape tend to be better in more situations.
- Ideal Picks: Graves, Corki - High AOE, good escapes, good waveclear
- Easy Picks: Caitlyn, Jinx, Ashe - Long range, ability to snowball even after losing lane using long range ultimates.